Founded in 1956 by Dr. C. B. Sawyer (as Sawyer Research Products), Sawyer Technical Materials began as the world’s first producer of cultured quartz crystal on an industrial scale. Our rich history of hydrothermal growth expertise and product and process innovation has built Sawyer’s reputation as the premier supplier of high purity crystal quartz for a wide variety of technically demanding electronic and optical applications.
These principles form the foundation for Sawyer’s longevity and success
- Customer-centric culture based on superior technical and service support
- Ability to engineer application-specific products at an early stage and subsequently reduce costs as volume builds
- Combination of flexibility and innovation to quickly respond to market, economic and technological changes
- Building partnerships with customers, employees and suppliers
Sawyer’s hydrothermal crystal growth facility, located in Eastlake, Ohio, is ISO 9001:2008 certified. We manufacture a wide variety of products for timing and frequency control and polarizing optics. Among our more unique high purity quartz products are
- Low alpha quartz with Q > 3.0 million for high reliability electronic applications
- Very low dislocation quartz for etch processing
- Swept quartz for harsh environments
- Virtually inclusion-free quartz for high power laser applications
- High quality quartz for waveplates and rotators as large as 150 mm in diameter
Our machining capabilities include precision orientation by X-ray diffraction, precision surface grinding and cutting and rounding, lapping and inspection polishing. Sawyer’s products range from as grown quartz stones to ground and oriented bar stock to semi-finished blanks.